Types of housing in Calgary
There are many different types of property you can rent or buy in Calgary:
1. Apartment (apartment, suite, flat) includes one or more bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room. Apartment "Batchelor" is a studio apartment with cooking area and a bathroom. Compact one bedroom apartment has one small bedroom adjacent to another room. The apartments may be located in an apartment building or in a detached house. Apartment buildings may be multi-storey (6-30 storey with an elevator) or low-rise (less than 6 floors and no elevator). The apartments belong to the landlord and are leased to the tenants.
2. Condominium (condo) a kind of tenure, in which you buy an apartment in an apartment building or complex of town houses, but do not own the land. Each co-owner pays mortgage, taxes, bills for utilities, as well as makes a monthly fee for upkeep and maintenance of the building.
3. Two-storey house (duplex) is a house divided into 2 separate apartments that are located one above the other. Triplex house (triplex) - this is a house divided into three separate apartments, respectively.
4. Detached house is a house owned by one or a few persons. Owners can rent one or several rooms, or the whole house.
5. Semi-detached house is a house that shares a wall with the neighboring house. These houses are close to each other and are called adjacent.
6. Townhouse is a small house that is part of a continuous series of similar small houses with common side walls.